Welcome to Quirky Crafts Challenges

Welcome to Quirky Crafts Challenges the place where any craft project is allowed.

We're a small design team with big inspiration.

On the first Sunday of the month, at 6pm UK time, we will set a new challenge which will close on the 28th of that month at midday. The DT will pick their top three favourites and you could win a prize and join us as a Guest Designer. Winners are posted on the first Sunday in the month (midday usually) before the new challenge - don't forget to come and check if you are a winner.
______________________________________________

Sunday, 21 July 2013

Challenge 15 - An Octopus's Garden

Hi everyone!

I hope everyone (in the UK) is enjoying this uncharacteristic stretch of summer we're having... we don't usually get more than a week of sun! 

If you would like to find out who won the last challenge click here.

It's my (Daire's) turn to set the challenge this week, and there's a theme (and a song) that's been bouncing around my brain for a while... Octopus's Garden by The Beatles. So this time I want your creations to be inspired by this song... it doesn't necessarily have to feature an octopus, but to be eligible for one of our prizes you must incorporate something from a garden and something from under the sea.

Here's a video of Octopus's Garden to get those juices flowing:



Now check out our great sponsors for this challenge, who are generously offering prizes to our top three entries:

Squigglefly will be offering three images or sets to our 1st place winner.

Paper Pretties will be offering six images to our 2nd place winner.

Robyn's Fetish will be offering three images to our 3rd place winner.

Are you ready for some inspiration? Look at these awesome creations from our Guest Designers and Design Team for some ideas:

Guest Designer - Leeann
Leanne used  Billingsley from Paper Pretties, look at the fishes on the backing paper, and bubbles paper too.

Guest Designer - Kali

I used the image Birthday Octopus from Squigglefly. I coloured the image with my Copics. I cut out the image and cut a frame for the image freehand. I chose a blue design paper for the background, because it remind me a bit of water. As decoration I used lace and rhinestones. I hope you like this card. 

(We love it Kali - you've included two things we love here at Quirky Crafts, vibrant colour and yummy texture!)

Guest Designer - Marina
Marina used Bubble Fish from Squigglefly, we love the realistic bubbles! With the bubble backgrounds and the matching flowers and sign this is perfect for the challenge.


I started out this art journal page by copying out the lyrics to Octopus's Garden with a Sharpie, and then covering it in an acrylic wash. I then added another layer of paint, by sponging it over an octopus shaped mask. I coloured the 'Butterfly Blossoms' image from Paper Pretties with felt tips and gel pens, and added a few smudges of craft paint and gesso, to make my garden seem like it was under the water. Originally the butterfly was joined to the flowers, but I snipped him off and moved him, because I thought a butterfly flying around under the sea was appropriately whimsical. My final touches included a doodled border, and a sentiment borrowed from an old copy of Cosmo. I have something else planned for our reminder post, so make sure you head back over next Sunday!


Doris used images from Squigglefly to make her first card, on the front are Crabby and I think a made up octopus! The paper is like bubbles underwater too.


Inside the card a pop up garden with more Squigglefly images clearly having a great time in the garden with umbrellas and buckets and spades.


For her second card Doris has used Paper Pretties images, and added her own octopus tentacles. Ocean backing paper finishes off this frame card.

Cazzy
This card is made using images from Paper Pretties, I used Daisy (fish in bowl), Billingsley (diving duck), Butterfly Blossoms, Max Splasher (dive bombing dog) and Hani (parrot in treasure chest). Most of these come with several great sentiments, Best Fishes is one that comes with Daisy.
 Lyn
At last, I'm here too! I've used this lovely little fish from Squigglefly. The colouring was done on the computer and most of the background too. The backing paper I did myself. You'll find that and my card on my blog on a Tuesday post!!


Remember, we want to see both something from a garden and something from under the sea in your project, now go get quirky!


Please add a link to your blog post (not your blog) or your online photo gallery, SCS etc. using the button below.

Have Fun - The Quirky Crafts Challenge Design Team.

P.S. Don't forget to pop back over next weekend for some more Design Team inspiration!



2 comments:

  1. I know...I'm a muppet & didn't read the instructions properly...please delete my entry...ta x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know have that song stuck in my head. Great challenge and thanks for the inspiration. See you next time!!! Thanks again! :-)

    TTFN,

    CraftyGirl
    craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

We would love you to comment on this post.
All comments are moderated and they may take a while to appear, but as soon as one of the team sees your comment it will be published.