Welcome to Quirky Crafts Challenges

Welcome to Quirky Crafts Challenges the place where any craft project is allowed.

We're a small design team with big inspiration.

On the first Sunday of the month, at 6pm UK time, we will set a new challenge which will close on the 28th of that month at midday. The DT will pick their top three favourites and you could win a prize and join us as a Guest Designer. Winners are posted on the first Sunday in the month (midday usually) before the new challenge - don't forget to come and check if you are a winner.
______________________________________________

Sunday, 18 November 2012

Challenge #24 Come to the Dark Side - no cute images!

Welcome to another Quirky Challenge. If you want to find out who won the last challenge please click here. (insert link when winners posted).
It is my turn to set the Quirky Challenge and I am in a very Quirky mood (or maybe a dark mood) as you will see.

We get such a lot of cute images, well not this time! I want to see lots of none cute images, or no images at all, but dark colours or subjects (or both) are the theme of this challenge.

We have two great sponsors therefore two prizes, and the sponsors are:


Who are giving our first prize winner $10 of images of their choice.


Who are giving our second prize winner 3 digi images of their choice. The Stamping Boutique have their own very dark alternative art challenge blog called Poisoned Peas which sort of inspired this challenge.

Using images provided by our sponsors the team have created some examples to inspire you.


Guest Designer Doris

Doris used Medusa from The Stamping Boutique with some purple and black embellishments. She also added pearls to the dress.



Now this is a challenge for me as I don't usually use a lot of dark colours or non cute images, so I had to run this one by my Daughter first, just to make sure I was on the right track. I used the Goth Girl Digital Stamp from Stamping Boutique. I had a lot of fun colouring this actually, I wish I was young enough and brave enough to have purple hair streaks! Coloured, as always with Promarkers, layered with various papers and hand made flowers, with a swirl and a butterfly and bow just to make it a bit more feminine.
I've used Zombie Girl from The Stamp Boutique... I wrote the sentiment, and who can spot my mistake? ... Maybe you won't notice! Will change it later (excuses on blog!) And for my second card....

 I've used Dustin's cat! I love this cat..  (he is cute...Cazzy said he wasn't!)Because I was sooo out of time I've used the coloured digi and Dovecraft papers. Again I had to write the sentiment...here's the inside too...

For mine I chose to make a tag using 'Medusa' from The Stamping Boutique, with the snakes in her hair coloured in red with sakura stardust added on top to make them 'pop' a little (it doesn't show up too well in the photo sadly).  I used Hot off the press papers for the background, layered up to frame medusa.  I then heat embossed red round the edge. I then added a black gem to the bottom left, and a tiny one on her sash and in the centre of the flower at the bottom. Finally I added the two 3D mulberry flowers and the ribbon.

Cazzy
I used Grave Dolly and Rotten Apples from Doodle Dragon Studios on this card, and I found some great paper that says "nothing is crazier than family" which I thought was perfect! Images coloured with Promarkers, though if you are in a hurry the images come coloured and plain.

This is Zombie Girl from The Stamping Boutique coloured with Promarkers, and matted on to a Spellbinders die cut and DCWV papers, with a bit of Crafty Ribbon added, can't think of a sentiment, I was going to add Time for Tea or Lets Have Tea, what else could I put?

Medusa from The Stamping Boutique is coloured with Promarkers and Trias, and die cut with Nesties lables 8 my favorites, and matted onto DCWV Rockstar paper, Crafty Ribbon added. Again no sentiment yet, I thought Bad Hair Day? what do you think?


I too love the Scaredy Cat from Doodle Dragon Studios and let me make one thing clear - he is not cute!. Somehow I think he should be attached to a car window! I coloured him with Promarkers, and cut out a panel of pattered card with Nesties to mount him on, I think the card was from Payperbox, the papers are DCWV, ribbon by Crafty Ribbons, sentiments by Papermania and Hero Arts.
I will be adding another card later, I had an accident and decapitated the character and now the printer won't play nice!



Now let's see what you can do, any craft project is acceptable as usual. You have two weeks (almost) to add your project, this challenge ends on 1st December at midday UK time.


Please add a link to your blog post (not your blog) using the biggest blue froggy at the top of the collection, the other one (at the bottom) doesn't do anything that we can tell, and please comment after you have linked. Don't forget to mention Quirky and add a link back to here (please read the rules and if you realised you haven't followed the rules and won't be included in the top three, and you want your entry removed to try again - please email us using the link in the side bar).
Have Fun - The Quirky Crafts Challenge Design Team.

Email Entries:

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant challenge theme! Fab work by the Design Team. I thought I had missed out on this one by a very narrow margin but reread the rules. Thank you! Love and Peace, Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great DT samples...love that zombie girl image! Thanks for the "dark" challenge this week...so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous dark makes everyone, and no he is not cute!

    Cazzy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your challenge site...right up my alley What a great challenge. My entry is't cute...lol
    wish luck to everyone. And fab. work by the Design Team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had so much fun with this challenge, great creations by DT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this kind of challenge, it was nice to have a break from all the cuteness!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love you to comment on this post.
All comments are moderated and they may take a while to appear, but as soon as one of the team sees your comment it will be published.